This bridge was named after James Henry Dainton who was the engineer in charge of the first bridge built over the Goulburn River in 1878. This was at the Fryers Street entrance to Shepparton. The bridge was later demolished to make way for the Monash Bridge (1913 - 14). He also built the jetty at the rear of the Shepparton Heritage Centre.
The original Fryers Street bridge is pictured in the background with the original river course that was filled in to become Monash Park during the 1960's. (Shepparton Heritage Centre)
Goulburn River and Fryers Street Shepparton. Circa 1900 (Shepparton Heritage Centre)
Goulburn River 1939 Flood (Shepparton Heritage Centre)
The Goulburn River was voted as the most popular river in Victoria to fish in for 2012.